Friday, April 3, 2015

Some Recipes You Just Don't Mess With Trying To Make Clean...

Fresh Easter Coffee Cake
4 Generations Strong



Like most families tend to do, my family has several special foods that we serve only for a particular holiday. My absolute favorite holiday food is our families traditional coffee cake that we only serve at Easter time. The recipe came from my Great Grandma Virgina Sisson's church. My mom has told me that the week of Easter all of the ladies would get together and make this coffee cake for after the Easter service. It is hands down my favorite treat! My grandma learned the recipe from my great grandma, she made it for years then when we were small my mom started making it for our family. I have made it a few times since I have been married just to be sure that I could carry on the tradition! I have it down now too!

This year my mom is out of the country vacationing so I decided to step up to the plate. I am hosting Easter this year at our house. (A first in all 7 years that we have been married). I could not host Easter without having our traditional dessert so today my little man and I put our aprons on and got down to it. While most of my recipes are healthy and clean this one isn't and I won't bother trying to make it clean. Some things need to be left well enough alone. I eat healthy mot days out of the year, a treat here and there won't kill me. 

Making it together so he learns too! 

Why yes he is wearing Christmas pajamas while we make Easter food! Gotta love him! 


Fresh from the oven!


If you are looking for a special recipe to make Easter dessert time a little sweeter this year give our families coffee cake a try! It won't disappoint!

*Make filling first - before making the cake
*Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
*Grease and spring form pan ( I didn't have one so I use this one and end up having to flip it when it's done)

Filling 
6 tablespoons of flour
4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 cup of chopped walnuts ( I buy halves and use the food processor to chop them)
1 1/2 cups of brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla

Mix at room temperature butter, flour, and cinnamon with a fork. Then add in vanilla, brown sugar and nuts. Mix all together with fingers.

Cake Mix
1/2 cup of butter + 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1 cup and 2 tablespoons of sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla
4 eggs
2 1/2 cups of flour
1 level tsp of baking soda
1 rounded tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 pint of sour cream

Cream butter and sugar together first
Add in vanilla & eggs beat until smooth
Add in dry ingredients alternating with sour cream. Beat until smooth
Pour a little over 1/4 of the batter into a greased spring form pan
Add 3/4 of the filling and spread around
Top with the remainder of the batter then the rest of the filling.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 - 50 minutes. Let it cool for 10 minutes.

I wrap ours up in cling wrap then aluminum foil to store! 




No comments :

Post a Comment