Friday, February 19, 2016

Going Gluten Free? WHY?

My Quest To Be Gluten Free 

going gluten free, gluten free, hashimoto's disease, hypothyroidism, gluten free with hashimoto's, top beachbody coach, sarah griffith,

The messages have been flowing in this week to my inbox asking me about why I am going gluten free, how it is going and how I am feeling since I started. I figured since I put everything else out there, I might as well give an update and do some explaining! Lets start at the beginning. 

Last fall I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I spent the year on levothyroxine and things were regulating with my thyroid, but I still was feeling EXHUSTED, lethargic, moody and often times anxiety ridden for no reason. We still were experiencing infertility issues too.  I started to question what else was going on. I decided it was time to see an endocrinologist rather than just my PCP. It was then that we started to get to the bottom of why I was feeling so awful even though my labs said I was fine. 

The thing was, I wasn't fine. We first switched my medicine to synthroid and that helped a TON. The anxiety and exhaustion started to get a lot better, but I still didn't feel GREAT like I wanted to. This past January, I was gearing up for our first round of IUI. I had a doctor appointment at the fertility clinic in the morning and an appointment with the endo in the afternoon. We were all set to go ahead but my endo put the brakes on it because my labs were showing that something else was still not right. She was worried that the treatment would be a waste of time because my body didn't quite seem to be up for the challenge. It also was then that we discovered that my hypothyroidism was also Hashimotos disease, which is an autoimmune disorder. The ultrasound of my thyroid also showed that I had nodules that we would now need to watch. 

going gluten free, gluten free, hashimoto's disease, hypothyroidism, gluten free with hashimoto's, top beachbody coach, sarah griffith,
Getting ready for the insulin resistance test. So glad to have my hubby by my side. 
What concerned the endo the most was my cortisol levels in my labs. She wanted to do further testing before we went anywhere with the fertility treatments. An insulin resistance and adrenal test was scheduled for mid February. Man what a day that was. Talk about an exhausting process. The goal is to test your blood sugar several times over a period of time. They give you a large dose of insulin. What is supposed to happen is they drop your blood sugar levels basically in half (Mine started out at 86 and they got it down to 42 within 15 minutes of the test beginning) then your body reacts and fights it off. The thing is nobody showed up to the game for me. My blood sugar levels never really moved over the course of the six hours I was there. 

The test confirmed that many of my side effects I was having: night sweats, feeling like I was going to crash soon after eating anything, not being able to go very long without foods... the list goes on... were all pointing to the blood sugar issue. 

She recommended that I begin using metformin to regulate my blood sugar. She has was leaning towards me trying to go gluten free. With many of her Hashimotos patients she has encouraged them to go GF and they often began to feel much better. While it does not help EVERYONE, it has helped enough patients that she suggests I give it a try. She wants me to do a strict 3 month trail of gluten free. It was something that I had been reading about in many of my Hashimoto's books that I have been studying. I was considering the switch even before she made the suggestion. I began it this past week and am keeping a food journal to document what I am eating and how certain foods are making me feel. I really want to hold off on the metformin and give this a try before I move forward with any medicine. I go back to see her in May and am hoping I don't need the medicine. I did make a deal with her that I would reach out and ask for the medicine if I don't feel any better in the coming weeks/ months before I see her. I am hoping to get things regulated and am sticking to low carb/ high protein. I am eating six small meals each day. I also now have to use a gluclometer and track my sugar levels daily. I was not surprised with the diagnosis - I have a strong family history of both thyroid issues and also diabetes but I didn't expect it so early in life. 

going gluten free, gluten free, hashimoto's disease, hypothyroidism, gluten free with hashimoto's, top beachbody coach, sarah griffith,
The day after all of the tests, I needed to just stay home and take a day to myself to process everything. I truly believe it is okay to not be okay. We are human. Life is hard some days. Acknowledging that is necessary to move forward. 
I can't change the cards that I was dealt but I can change the way I decide to play the hand. I had my few days of having a pity party. I was sad, I was mad, I was bummed and quite honestly I was overwhelmed. Trying to deal with so much at once almost felt like too much all at once but I reminded myself that god only gives you which he thinks you can handle, so he must think I am a pretty strong women because I sure have been thrown a lot of curve balls lately. 

going gluten free, gluten free, hashimoto's disease, hypothyroidism, gluten free with hashimoto's, top beachbody coach, sarah griffith,
A few of my new gluten free foods I picked up at Trader Joes. They were AWESOME there. So helpful and made me feel less bummed about my new situation. 
I am treating it as a learning opportunity like I do everything else. Stay tuned for lots of gluten free recipes, reviews and updates as I journey thru this! I would love any tips or brand suggestions you might have! 

going gluten free, gluten free, hashimoto's disease, hypothyroidism, gluten free with hashimoto's, top beachbody coach, sarah griffith,
Taking on the new challenge - meal planning, reading GF books and beginning to use my food journal 

No comments :

Post a Comment