Monday, March 19, 2018

Why I Had To Quit 80 Day Obsession

80 day obsession, 80 day obsession meal plan, 80 day obsession and pregnancy, 80 day obsession drop out, first trimester fitness, hashimoto's disease,


At the beginning of January, I set out with one big goal and that was to FINISH the new 80 Day Obsession program from START to FINISH. I wanted to be able to say that I did the entire program and be able to share my awesome results. I went all in with my workouts and committed to the nutrition plan.

Phase one I was spot on. Didn't skip any workouts, ate according to the plan and totally nailed it. Then at some point during phase two I started to notice my thyroid was having a "storm" and things were off. I was having trouble staying warm and was cold all the time, yet I would wake up covered in sweat during the night. I was experiencing extreme fatigue and was having trouble keeping up. I would wake up each morning feeling exhausted even after hours and hours of sleep. Anxiety started to set in as well. When enough "sirens" went off I decided I better get some labs done and get back to the endocrinologist.

At the same time, I started to feel like my period was finally coming back. This was a big deal since technically with breastfeeding and being pregnant I hadn't had one in over two years. It never came, but I felt like it would. Once I got the lab work set up and an appointment booked with my endo I decided to take a pregnancy test just for the heck of it. Well, I made the mistake of taking an old one from when we tried for Gracie. I didn't have the box anymore or the instructions or know the brand. It left me with two pink lines, but I wasn't sure what those lines even meant. YES OR NO? I told my hubby the next day and I took a second test a few days later. This time I went with digital. IMMEDIATELY it said pregnant. I was shocked, but it also explained a lot.
80 day obsession, 80 day obsession meal plan, 80 day obsession and pregnancy, 80 day obsession drop out, first trimester fitness, hashimoto's disease,

I went to the doctor for the initial appointment and honestly, I went in rather cold. Since having walked the road before with a miscarriage you protect your heart and try to stay unattached. I requested we just cut to the chase and not do anything until I had an ultrasound. I needed to see a baby and a strong heartbeat before this could be real for me. That appointment was on a Thursday. My ultrasound was scheduled for the following Tuesday.

Before I could get to that appointment I wound up in the emergency room that Monday night with gallbladder pains. Stabbing pain was all thru my right side. Painful enough that I would have rather been giving birth. The hospital I was at was worried about possible complications with the baby. They didn't have a pelvic US machine at that hospital and were having trouble finding the baby. They were worried I had miscarried or that it was in distress.  They wanted to send me to a hospital where they could provide better care for both of us. That night I took a fast ride by ambulance. I was numb. Not just from pain meds, but because I knew what types of decisions I would be facing later if that baby had in fact already passed away.

When I got there I was given an ultrasound right away and got to see our sweet little baby. Strong and steady heartbeat and growing right on track with where it should be. That night I got a due date and pictures to take home to share.

Two days later I had my endo appointment and she really was tough on me. She gave me a hard time about how much stress my body was really under between the thyroid issues, the gallbladder stuff and trying to keep up with exclusively breastfeeding and trying to navigate the first trimester of pregnancy. When we talked about my current levels of exercise she was less than thrilled with my six hours a week commitment and the intensity. She said it was absolutely too much and it was a recipe for a miscarriage. She told me to think long and hard about where my priorities were.

That night I experienced a lot of bleeding and thought for sure I was miscarrying. The next morning I had another ultrasound and got to see the baby again. The heartbeat was even stronger and everything was just fine.  It was, however, an eye-opener and it meant I needed to come up with a new plan.

Sure I wanted to finish the 80-day program especially with less than 30 days to go, but I also want a healthy baby so this is me throwing in the towel. It is probably a good choice anyway because the program is NOT recommended for those who are pregnant. I will be picking up with 30 days of yoga for now to finish out the first trimester then will go from there as a move into the second and hopefully at that point am feeling a little less exhausted.

80 day obsession, 80 day obsession meal plan, 80 day obsession and pregnancy, 80 day obsession drop out, first trimester fitness, hashimoto's disease,


To those of you who were following along with my postpartum journey I just want to say thank you for all the love and support. Please feel free to fill out the application below if you would ever like to work with me in one of my challenge groups. I am always taking new clients.

Sometimes it's important for us to remember when things don't go according to the plan, simply make a new plan.



1 comment :

  1. How far along were you in the pregnancy when you started 80 Day Obsession? My husband and I are TTC and I am about to complete Phase 1 and was wondering if it's unsafe if I were to happen to get pregnant and not know it while trying to finish the program.

    ReplyDelete