Monday, April 11, 2016

Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal Breakfast


gluten free breakfast recipes, gluten free breakfast, baked oatmeal recipe, strwaberry banana baked oatmeal, sarah griffith, top beachbody coach,

During the weekdays my breakfasts are pretty simple and plain because I simply don't have the time in the mornings to do anything fancy. The weekends however, are a different story. I like try new recipes and now that I am gluten free I have been experimenting with lots of new combos. This weekends recipe was out of this world yummy! I will be making this one again. I was asked a lot by my followers why I needed to buy oats that were gluten free. They did not understand why it would have gluten in it. The answer is that oats do not have gluten in them, but because of the way the oats are grown there is a chance of wheat cross contamination so I needed to buy the gluten free kind. This recipe would work the same without gluten free oats or even steel cut oats. You could use regular oats instead. Either way you make it, I am sure you will love it.

Ingredients 
2 cups of steel cut oats ( I used the gluten free kind. I like the Bob's Red Mill brand)
1/3 cup organic brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp organic cinnamon
1/2 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
1 cup walnut pieces
1 cup berries (your choice) I used strawberries
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2 cups vanilla almond milk
1 large organic brown egg
3 tbsp organic pure maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ripe banana, peeled, 1/2 -inch slices


Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously spray a 2-qt pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, mix together oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, half of the walnuts, half of the chocolate chips, and half the berries.
In another large bowl, mix together milk, egg, butter, and vanilla extract.
Add the oat mixture to the baking dish. Add the remaining walnuts, chocolate chips, and berries. Add the banana slices in a single layer on top.
Pour the milk mixture over the whole thing and shake the pan a bit to make sure all the oats get soaked evenly.
Bake it for 30-40 minutes or until the top is a golden brown and the milk has set. If you want it extra sweet, just sprinkle some more brown sugar on the top. 

No comments :

Post a Comment