Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Third Time's A Charm - Hospital Bag Must Haves

Third Time Around - Here's What Made The Cut 



My first go around when it came to hospital bag packing was over seven years ago. Back then the mommy threads and groups were not like what they are today and Pinterest was just taking off. 

Needless to say packing the bag didn't seem like such a big deal back then because I had nobody else's to really compare with. I guess you could call it bare bones packing. I had a coming home outfit for him. Some basics for me and that was it. I didn't have matching outfits for him and I or Instagram worthy swaddles or pacifier clips or any of the THINGS that moms today read that they need to have in their hospital bags. 

I barely changed out of the hospital gown and I think he was in hospital clothes most of our stay too. We made it thru just fine. 

Then five years later I went at it again as I was gearing up to pack for the hospital for the delivery of our daughter Grace. It seemed there was so much pressure to have the perfectly packed bag. I remember stressing over all the lists on Pinterest thinking I had to have ALL THE THINGS!!! While I tried my best to not be too over the top I was for sure packing heavier the second time around. I had everything from custom onesies from ESTY to matching outfits for her and I. My hospital "bag" was more like hospital LUGGAGE. 

This time around I would call my hospital bag a combo of my first and second go around. I am wiser and know what I need, but it won't be as over the top this time around. 

Here is what is coming with me. I am going to break this list down by things for me and things for the baby incase you want to print it off. For most of this I will just write the list. A few of the things I will explain the why behind it incase this is your first time.

Mom Stuff 
*Soft blanket, pillow from home and nursing pillow
*Phone charger
*Fuzzy socks
*Sweats and a top to wear home - You may want something fancier but honestly I just want to be comfy
*Robe
*Bras - Nursing, sports, regular - whatever makes you most comfortable.
*2 pair of pajamas - If you are planning to have a c-section and know you will be there longer you may want to throw in one more outfit. 
*Underwear - big ones and you probably won't even need them. Spring for the mesh shorts they give you postpartum. They are wicked comfy and won't ruin your own stuff. I'll bring some along, but have full intentions of just wearing those mesh ones. 
*Dry shampoo, tooth brush, tooth paste,- I won't be washing my hair there it's too much work.
*Lotion, face wash/ lotion, make up
* Hair brush, pony tail holder, bobby pints,
* Deodorant
* Glasses and contacts
*Towel and wash cloth - This one is not necessary, but the hospital ones are pretty small and rough. 
*Sibling gifts for Carter and Gracie
* Nursing pads and nipple cream- I use Charlie Banana nursing pads and Earth Mama nipple cream 
* Earth Mama postpartum care products - bottom balm and spray, periodic tea
* Wish Garden AfterEase tincture - this is something that helps with the after birth pains
* Essential oil diffuser with wild orange for labor and serenity for postpartum recovery 

Every blog post I come across also suggests snacks, but honestly that's never been an issue for the last two deliveries I had. The hospital I stayed in had plenty of food and I could order more whenever I wanted. I guess check out where you are delivering at and get a feel for what you will have available then decide if you want to bring something along. 

Baby Stuff 
*Muslin swaddles - I will be bringing 3 but you could always throw in a few more if you want.
* 3 outfits - They will be onesies/ sleeper outfits. Nothing too fancy. 
* Coming home outfit - This used to be a much bigger deal than it is now. Spring for comfort for them rather than fashion. 
* Name tag - Hello my name is - I ordered this from ETSY since we have not shared her name.
* Car seat and base - If you are clueless on installing it be sure to ask for help! Don't try to wing it!
*Pacifier
*Earth Mama baby wash and lotion - Most hospitals have their own or use hospital grade soap. I prefer one with less chemicals so I like to bring my own and use a brand I trust.
* Wipes - most hospitals will NOT have wipes on hand for you. They have theses cloths that are like a paper towel that you have to get wet. We are not a fan so wipes will come along with us this time.
* Hats or a bow if you are planning to have one for pictures. I would say bring a hat for sure though to keep them warm during those first few days.
*Diaper bag - This is not something that we will bring in instead we will just have it along for the car ride in the event that we need it. 
* Car seat cover - I like the Milk Snob ones - this keeps everyone from touching or looking at your new addition. 
* On The Night You Were Born Book - We started the tradition with my son and love reading this book to them the day that they are born. We also read it each year on their birthday to them. 

Hope you find this list helpful. I promise there are things that are missing and not all of these are NECESSARY!!! This is just what will be coming along with me as a THIRD time mama.

Best wishes with the packing!
xoxo 
Sarah 


No comments :

Post a Comment