Monday, February 19, 2018

Immunity Boosting Soup

Immune Boosting Chicken Soup

vital proteins, immunity foods, immune boosting foods, chicken stew, gluten free soups, sarah griffith, bone broth soup,

Since we are in the THICK of cold and flu season, I have been making different foods that might help my family and I stay well. At least once a week I try my best to include some immunity boosting foods into our weekly meals. This past week I made an immune-boosting chicken soup. I call it soup, but the consistency was a bit more like a stew than anything.  It was a huge hit with my little guy aside from including peas. He insisted I pick them all out, which was a bit of a pain but other than that he was asking for seconds and even thirds.

This recipe makes a nice big batch so you can send it in lunches or freeze some for next time. 

Some of you already know this, but I was selected to be a wellness ambassador for Vital Proteins. Each month I get to try out some new products. This past month I picked the bone broth collagen and included it in this recipe. I loved knowing I built the soup out of so many clean ingredients. Hopefully, you will enjoy making it as much as we did. 

Stay well! 

vital proteins, immunity foods, immune boosting foods, chicken stew, gluten free soups, sarah griffith, bone broth soup,


Makes 8 -1 cup servings. 

Ingredients
6 cups of bone broth- I used vital proteins beef but chicken bone broth would be great too. 
4 chicken breasts cooked and shredded 
2 tablespoons of extra virgin organic olive oil 
1 bag of organic baby carrots
1 medium head of celery 
1/2 bag of frozen peas
4 medium potatoes diced and peeled 
2 medium-sized onions diced 
5 cloves of fresh garlic
1 tablespoon of pink Himalayan salt. 
1 teaspoon of black pepper 
1 tablespoon of parsley 
1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning. 
1 cup of half and half or heavy cream 
2 - 3 tablespoons of gluten free flour ( or regular if you do not follow a  gluten-free diet). 
1/2 stick of butter ( we used Kerrygold)


Directions 
1. Boil chicken until cooked then shred. I boiled mine in bone broth for extra flavor, but water or chicken broth would be fine. 
2. In a large soup pot saute onions, garlic, carrots, and celery until soft using olive oil. 
3. Add in the bone broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil for 20 minutes. 
4. Once boiling, add the peas and seasonings. 
5. Once the vegetables are tender, begin to prepare the white sauce to add to the soup. 
6. Using a separate pot melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Then slowly add in the flour using a whisk. Add in the half and half or heavy cream and stir until thick and bubbly. This mixture will then get added to the soup. 
7. I like my veggies and chicken to be pureed a bit, so I finish with the immersion blender using it to chop the big pieces and combine everything nicely. 
8. Serve and garnish with parsley. 



No comments :

Post a Comment