Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Shakeology When You Have Thyroid Issues?

Help I Have A Thyroid Condition, Can I Use Shakeology? 

Can you use shakeolgy with thyroid issues, shakeology and hypothroidism, synthroid and shakeology,

I get this question A LOT - "I have a thyroid condition and I want to lose weight but can I drink Shakeology?"

My answer is one that took me some time to find the CORRECT answer to. It is YES but there are some things you have to be careful of. I will explain.... 

Last fall when I learned I had a thyroid condition I had no idea I had one if that makes sense. My husband and I were in the beginning phases off figuring out why I was having infertility issues so we began to do our homework. One of the starting points to determine causes of infertility is always testing your TSH levels. (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone). Much to my surprise mine was very off. The normal range they like you to be in is typically 0.5 - 4.0 give or take some depending on the lab. None the less mine was around 13.58. Which was pretty high. The doctors were very surprised that I had no symptoms with numbers like that. I attributed it to my lifestyle. I was eating clean, exercising and drinking Shakeology daily. Shortly after my labs we began the process of determining what my dose should be. If you have thyroid issues you know this is a lot of work and often not a quick formula. I went thru a few different doses and also switched from Levothyroxine to Snythroid. It took me some time to get everything figured out. At first I was just seeing my PCP doctor but decided I needed to see an actual endocrinologist. I did my homework to find one that was REALLY out of this world phenomenal. While it did require me to drive 3 hours for appointments she is worth the drive. She really went above and beyond to help me to feel better than I had been. You see before I was taking any medication for the thyroid issues I had no symptoms but as soon as I began the work to regulate it the exhaustion that is common in those with thyroid issues kicked in. Switching my medicine was very helpful and she also was able to confirm that I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

During my time with her I questioned if I should be drinking Shakeology like I do daily. I was fearful of her answer because I love how it makes me feel. My pharmacist had told me several times at the pharmacy that I was not to take the medication within 4 hours of drinking Shakeology. That's where I was running into a problem. I like to drink mine for breakfast and what I was doing what counteracting my medicine. I would take my medicine first thing then within an hour or so I would drink my shake. The pharmacist suggested that I take my Snythroid at night so I could still have Shakeology for breakfast. I made that change and was taking it at night. I shared this with my doctor and she was not thrilled with my decision to do that. She said that  in order for the medicine to be most effective it should be taken first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and I should not have Shakeology until at least four hours have passed. The reason being is that Shakeology contains calcium and when taking this type of medication calcium needs to be avoided for at least 4 hours after taking it. I am sure you will encounter others doctors out there who might advise otherwise, but I will say this doctor that I see is a very well respected endocrinologist so I plan on making these changes and would encourage you to do the same thing so that your medicine can work like it is supposed to. 

Best wishes! My message to all of you reading this with thyroid issues is to hang in there. I know it can be a rough road some days and really make you feel exhausted. Don't give up and don't give in. A healthy lifestyle will really help to get your energy on track. If you would like any support from me please fill out the application below. I would be happy to include you in my next challenge group. It's nice to work with a coach who "gets it"  because there is no tired like thyroid tired. Trust me know know! Happy to help make you feel a little better! 

Fill out my online form.
There are tons of Wufoo features to help make your forms awesome.

1 comment :